Blog | Sep 30, 2022

Claim child benefit and earn over £50k?

If we can be of any assistance, please don’t hesitate to call us.

Do you or your partner claim child benefit and one of you or both earn over £50k per year?

Then you could be caught by the High-Income Child Benefit Charge.

The highest earning parent, if earning over £50k, needs to report if either parent is claiming child benefit.

You can do this by doing a self-assessment or asking HMRC to amend your tax code. If you are liable for the high-income benefit charge, it may be worth still claiming the National Insurance credits but not taking the benefit. Reminder you need 35 qualifying years minimum to get state pension, you can check you your qualifying years here.

For more information on how Savvy can help you streamline your workspace, save money, and improve the overall well-being of your employees, sign up for a free trial today.


Dedicated Accountants & Bookkeepers. 

Was this information useful?
Transform your accounting now
The small business and start-up specialists

See what it's like to manage a business with Savvy Accounting on your side.

Get Started